Saturday, July 26, 2014

Summer reads

My book-buying addiction is getting a little severe. Every time I am halfway through a book I find myself wandering over to a bookstore to buy one I can read straight after I finish the one I'm currently reading. The summer is a great time for literature nerds like me because of all the endless spare time we have (most of us like to keep to ourselves due to our stacks of books we must finish before summer is over!!!) Sooo, I thought it would be fun to share with you my current book favorites!
This summer I've purchased a few books and I've chosen them very carefully. I know that most people don't think a book is a big purchase but for me it kind of is. I don't want to spend money on books I will only read once, I want to spend money on books I will have for the rest of my life - books I can read over and over again. Most of these books are classics so I doubt you will be unfamiliar with their names (if you don't read much literature I suggest you should move on to another post of your interest, reading about something you have no clue about is never a particularly entertaining experience..). I will leave a little review or a recommendation by the books so you can choose if you're ready to dive into some of the most amazing books I've ever read!


The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (1963)


Review: 
When I read this for the first time I knew nothing of Sylvia, her life or even her poetry. My mind had not been filled with negative opinions that a lot of people tend to think have about Sylvia Plath. I read this with a completely neutral state of mind and it drew me in and after that there was no turning back. This book is about Esther Greenwood who lives the "perfect life" but is very depressed and suicidal. As you get deeper into the book you can almost feel the depression and insanity so clearly you start to wonder if this book was written especially for you. Sylvia Plath was an amazing poet but also an exceptional novelist. 
Rate: 10/10


American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (1991)


As the name gives away this book is about an American psycho, literally. I don't recommend reading this book if you're sensitive when it comes to murder/rape/drugs. There were a few times that this book made me feel sick but it is completely genius. Patrick Bateman (the "hero" of the story) tells you about his life in an insane way, he describes what every single character is wearing head-to-toe and gives you graphic descriptions when he murders homeless people, cops and hookers. Writing this down it sounds completely awful but when you pick up this book you won't be able to put it down. 
Rate: 9.5/10


Mad Girl's Love Song: Sylvia Plath and Life Before Ted by Andrew Wilson (2013)

Review: 
I haven't finished this one yet but I'm getting closer and closer to the final chapter. I can honestly tell you that this is much more than I expected. I had sort of given up on biographies but this one really captures the Plath-spirit in a neutral way. I had read somewhere that a lot of biographies about Sylvia are either on her side or against her but this one describes her life and personality perfectly, you'll be able to form an opinion of your own.
Rate: 8.5/10





Orange Is The New Black by Piper Kerman (2010)


This one has gone through a lot with me, traveled to Latvia and back but also accompanied me on a family roadtrip. Most people are familiar with the TV series that were made from this book (if you're not then why???) but you've got to be able to distance yourself from the show when you're reading it because otherwise you won't enjy it as much. This book is kind of an autobiography about Piper who goes to a women's prison and spends a year surrounded by fellow criminals. At first she is rather frightened and on edge but as she gets to know the prisoners she realizes that they aren't horrible human beings just because they've committed crimes. The main thing you'll learn from this book is you've got to stop judging people because of their looks/actions/skin color. This book should be taught in schools, it's such an eye-opening masterpiece. 
Rate: 9/10

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (2000)


Where do I begin to describe this life-changing book? It is a graphic novel and I finished it within three days. It's also an autobiography and tells the story of a little girl growing up in Iran. The struggle and violence that nation has had to deal with is perfectly described and will often leave you close to tears. This book had me staying up way to late and thinking about going home to read as I was hanging out with friends. A must read for people that are interested in sociology and such.
Rate: 10/10





The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (1937)


Everyone must be familiar with this book but I can't resist to put it on my list. I can honestly tell you that this book had me both laughing and crying out loud. Tolkien is of course a complete master when it comes to writing fairy tales that are suitable for both grownups and tiny children. I adore this book so, so much, it is such a great work of art. 
Rate: 10/10








The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1940)


This is a strange but wonderful story that tells the tale of a pilot that meets a little prince in Sahara. The prince tells stories of a little planet of his that are quite amazing. You won't ever forget this book.
Rate: 10/10











Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronté (1847)


I can't say I'm a huge fan of love stories but this one held me captive the whole time. This story is no ordinary love story, the tale of Cathy and Heathcliffe is so god damn emotional it will bring you to tears more than once. I have nothing else to say about this book except for it's absolutely perfect and I can't wait to read it again and again.
Rate:10/10









Poems by Sylvia Plath collected by Carol Ann Duffy (2012)


Have you noticed my Sylvia Plath obsession yet? Probably not, I mean, only 3 out of these 9 books have to do with her.. Ever since I read The Bell Jar I've been infatuated with her and these poems are definitely not a let-down. Sylvia was one of the greatest poets ever and has been such an inspiration to young poets all around the world. This is a great read for people that want to crawl deeper into Sylvia's head and read some amazing poetry while at it.
Rate:9.5/10



Thanks for stopping by!
Punk hugs, 
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment