Monday, February 3, 2014

Recent book purchases

A few weeks ago I discovered a small section in this book shop down town that sells fantastic classic for a very small prize. The past month I've bought myself five books; The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Sherlock Holmes the Novels (Volume two) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi.
I couldn't be happier with the books I bought, I've only gotten around to reading The Bell Jar and Breakfast at Tiffany's but I'm super excited to start reading the rest!

When I finished Breakfast at Tiffany's I was greeted by a funny surprise, there were three other short stories by Capote in the book. I read the first two, House of Flowers and Diamond Guitar, and they were both beautifully written and really influential. The third one is called Christmas Memory and I decided to save that one for next December (long shot maybe, I'm not the most patient person you'll meet and I will probably give up on saving it and read it in three days). Capote is a great writer and i think everyone is familiar with Audrey Hepburn's iconic performance in Breakfast at Tiffany's. If you haven't read the book I strongly recommend it, it really is as equally amazing as the movie.

I'm really looking forward to reading this one. The only book I've read by Kurt Vonnegut is Cat's Cradle and I really, really enjoyed that one. The sarcastic and black humor Vonnegut had completely swept me away. I've heard so many great things about this book and when I saw it in the store I knew I had to have it. When I finish reading Damned by Chuck Palahniuk this one will definitely be next on my list.

Sherlock Holmes. My beloved. 
For a long time now I've been wanting to read the Sherlock Holmes novels and after watching the third season of the television show were Benedict Cumberbatch is looking delicious I knew this Sherlock obsession was not going away any time soon. Even though this is the second volume of Sir Arthur's work I was so excited to find this book I didn't even hesitate. I don't care if I read the latter novels first, I just want to know more about Sherlock Holmes. 

This book I read first. It is so incredibly mesmerizing and you won't be able to put it down once you pick it up. I didn't really know what to expect when I started this book but whatever it was it definitely wasn't this. The deeper you get into this book the deeper you get into Syliva's head. As most people know this book is pretty much her life story and it is so incredible how she was able to capture her own insanity and depression and put it into words. No one will finish this book untouched.

I've never read a graphic novel before and it's definitely something i'm looking forward to do. I saw the movie they made out of this book and it was very memorable. I'm pretty sure this book will teach me a lot and I really can't wait to read it.

If you've read any of these books you're welcome to let me know what you thought of them in the comments, i'd love to hear from you. Also, if you're not a fan of reading I suggest you give at least The Bell Jar a try, it really is beautifully written but it's completely your choice.
I'm sorry for the lack of originality in my post the past week, it's just that I've been crazy busy with school and being sick but I promise great content for next week!
Punk hugs
Maria.

No comments:

Post a Comment